Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Ups and Downs of the Project for Public Spaces

I'm still trying to figure out what I think about the Project for Public Spaces.

This article in Preservation Magazine got me looking a bit harder at their philosophy and the criteria behind it. Yet, I found this PPS article on ways to think about photographing public spaces helpful -- like a lot of their articles are.



Image borrowed from The Project for Public Spaces' Image Collection. This is a Chicago "Information Kiosk" dated 2002.

2 comments:

MK said...

I'm sure that survey is right -- the average person who regularly "use" a park doesn't really care if there are snazzy features. It's funny though, while the first time I went to Millennium Park I wanted to see all of the cool exhibits, now when I go there I mostly like to watch the kids play in the fountain or lay out on the pavilion lawn.

Ahhhh, $250 million sure buys a nice park.

J R said...

Yeah, me too. My destination is always the fountain (or the concert area) because those are the best places to chill. I find the gardens a bit more problematic because they seem to have weird "hours" when they're open and closed. Hard to figure exactly or at least that's what my visits turned up.