Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lucy Grealy: Ideas about Place

"I especially liked being lost, tooling through strange neighborhoods with Stephen. As we drove by the houses, I gazed into the windows, imagining what the families inside were like. My ideas were loosely based on what I had learned from TV and films.

I pictured a father in a reclining chair next to a lamp, its shade trimmed with small whtie tassels. Somewhere nearby a wife in a coordinated outfit chatted on the phone with friends while their children set the dinner table. As they ate their home-cooked food, passing assorted white serving dishes, they'd casually ask each other about the day. Perhaps someone would mention the unusual sight of a horse trailer going past the house that day.

Certain that these families were nothing like my own, a certainty wrought with a sense of vague superiority and even vaguer longing, I took pride and pleasure in knowing that I was the person in that strangely surreal trailer with the kicking ponies and angry muffler, that I had driven by their house that day, that I had brushed against their lives, and past them, like that. "

By Lucy Grealy, from Autobiography of a Face.

2 comments:

Worst Blog Ever said...

WORST. CITY. EVER.

WORST. BLOG. EVER.

Jennifer said...

Hmmm. Well, my little StatCounter tells me you're from Chicago, too. Gray days and cold sky getting you down? Me too.