Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Lincoln Park Public Art: "Here & There" by Michele Goldstrom and "Push Comes to Shove" by Ron Gard

I have to tell you that I was feeling all cynical as I walked Boomer around the neighborhood to get a first glance at some of the 2005-2006 public art being displayed as part of the Lincoln Park Community Art Initiative.

As longtime listeners of ThePlaceWhereWeLive know, I've been blogging about this unique Chicago public art program in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. New sculptures arrived on May 15. I had some real favorites among the last round of sculptures, so I was feeling a bit glum about seeing those leave.

Despite my poutiness, to my great delight, the first look at some of the sculptures was downright exciting. One of my favorite sculptures last year was "Safety Star" by Victoria Fuller. Here's this year's sculpture on the same site by Michele Goldstrom:



Oh, it's total comfort food, and I mean that as a compliment. The notion of a factory/house/barn/nostalgiac building fits so beautifully in this sedate Illinois park, and its scale seems almost perfect. Here are two more looks:





It's a fine successor to Fuller's "Safety Star." My only concern is what it will look like next February. I doubt it will give the same jolt of color and life that Fuller's did. But we'll have to wait and see.

I also got a peek at "Push Comes to Shove" by Ron Gard, which sits on the corner of North Avenue and Orchard. This is the one I pass by everyday truly, and I think the drivers will get a much better view and angle as they turn the corner this time. (This is the site of last year's "sharkness" sculpture.)

Here are two looks:





Nice. I think I'm going to enjoy contemplating the tension between the two figures and its "chairness." I'm glad to see the Lincoln Park Community Art Initiative (who have not updated their website as of today to go along with the new sculptures -- totally lame) didn't attach the plaques to the sculpture as they did last year. I also appreciate that they've tried to make a base for this work. Unfortunately, it looks more like a little dog park than a complimentary presentation base for the sculpture.

Local Inside newspaper coverage of LPCAI 2005-2006

No comments: