Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Spotty Help over at Vi Daley's Office

So, I called my alderman, Vi Daley, this morning with two questions. (She's no relation to Mayor Daley.)

The first was about whether or not she was going to support the proposed new ordinance promoting a ban on smoking in restaurants and public places. (I believe this ordinance is long overdue in our green-some-of-the-time city.)

I identified myself by name and address and expressed my support. The man who answered the phone without giving his name said, "I don't know."

Well, do you know if she's planning on issuing a statement soon? "I don't know."

Does she have a timeline? "I don't know anything about that."

Okay, well, what about the doctor who was mentioned in the Trib the other day about wanting to save a tree on Burling. Do you have a contact number for him? "I don't know anything about that."

Hmm. Well, okay, thanks for all of your help. "Sure!" he chirped.

Aaarrggh! I'll bet you a dollar he will never mention my support to the alderman. Granted, this is not usually what my experience is like calling into Vi's office, but god, that kind of attitude from anyone, yet alone a public servant, is aggravating. Get off your ass and ask somebody! Go find out! Duh.

No comments: