Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Youse are the Machine?

So, I’m leaving my polling place at the Newberry School on Willow this afternoon, and there are two guys sitting in red, white, and blue stars and stripes lawn chairs on the sidewalk across from the voters’ entrance. One wears a fake toupee and the other sports a George Hamilton tan. They are smoking cigars and listening to Frank Sinatra songs cranked through the open window of their white, brand-spanking new four-door Ford pick up truck parked on the street in front of them.

As I pull out of my parking space, I roll down my window and ask, “Are you guys Democrats or Republicans?”

The toupee guy shouts, “Democrats!” But, as I pull away, he cackles wildly as if he had just gotten away with something.



E-mail to: ThePlaceWhereWeLive@yahoo.com

No comments: